Marcus Röll, Lawyer and specialist lawyer for administrative law, supports in particular the public law and criminal law department in our law firm. A special focus of his work is on administrative law / commercial administrative law. Mr. Röll works mainly in our Heidelberg office, which he also manages.
Marcus Röll, lawyer and specialist lawyer for administrative law, supports in particular the public law and criminal law department in our law firm. A special focus of his work is on administrative law/commercial administrative law. Mr. Röll works mainly in our Heidelberg office, which he also manages.
As a specialist in administrative law, Mr. Röll advises and represents companies, private individuals and public authorities in many different areas of public law. These include economic administrative law (including the law regarding the regulated professions, such as trade law and catering law, as well as the handicraft law and foreman law), gambling law, public construction law (e.g. building permit and change of use procedures, development planning, prohibition of changes, building regulations), and weapons and hunting law. In addition, Mr. Röll is a specialized defense lawyer with many years of experience in criminal cases and (economic) administrative offence matters.
Mr. Röll studied at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena. Already during his studies, he paid special attention to criminal and commercial law. Accordingly, he continued his education, among other things, through study-related internships in the Department of Economics of the Thuringian State Administration Office in Weimar as well as the Economic Criminal Department of the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Erfurt. Mr. Röll completed his university specialization in the field of “Criminal Justice”.
After his first bar exam, Mr. Röll also took part in a supplementary course in administrative law at the German University of Administrative Sciences in Speyer, where he deepened his knowledge of public commercial law, construction law and administrative procedural law, as well as data protection law, on which he also published specialist articles. In the further course of his legal clerkship, he worked for defense lawyers in Thuringia and Baden-Württemberg as well as for the public prosecutor’s office in Erfurt in the departments for official offenses and extremism offenses. After his second bar exam, Mr. Röll joined a law firm in Heidelberg which was mainly focused on criminal law. There, he was involved as a defense lawyer, among other things, in proceedings under economic criminal law and handled mandates from the public restaurant and trade law. By proving his theoretical knowledge and practical experience to the Karlsruhe Lawyer Association, Mr. Röll was granted permission in 2018 to use the title of specialist lawyer in administrative law.
A particular specialization in the work of Mr. Röll concerns, among other things, gambling and catering law (including advice and representation of companies and authorities, supervision of official licensing procedures). In this area, he works, among other things, on behalf of the Reutlingen Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) as a lecturer for the instruction of gaming hall/catering operators and slot machine operators within the meaning of § 33c of the Trade, Commerce and Industry Regulation Act (Gewerbeordnung) for the entire state of Baden-Württemberg. Since 2019, Mr. Röll has also been conducting this instruction at the Cologne Chamber of Industry and Commerce. As a lawyer in our “Gaming Law Practice Group“, he furthermore represents the interests of sports betting and gaming companies, e.g., in questions of concessions, advertising, blocking periods or regulatory offences (fines & confiscation according to § 29a OWiG). He represents nationally and internationally established companies as well as small and medium-sized enterprises and their management or owners. His legal work also extends to companies in the field of eSports.
Furthermore, Mr. Röll proved his qualification as a data protection officer by examination and received the DSB-TÜV certificate from the TÜV SÜD Academy. In this capacity, he works for numerous companies and associations as an external data protection officer and advises on data protection issues.
Lawyer Mr. Röll is a member of the German and Heidelberg Lawyer Association. He is also a member of the Administrative Law Task Force of the German Lawyers’ Association. Furthermore, he is active in the Criminal Law Task Force of the Heidelberg Lawyers’ Association and a member of the Economic Criminal Law Association (WisteV).
- 09./10.2011 – Zeitschrift für Landes- und Kommunalrecht Hessen | Rheinland-Pfalz | Saarland (LKRZ) – “Kriminologische Erkenntnisse zum Nutzen von Videoüberwachung Teil 1 & 2” (Mitautor: Landesbeauftragter für Datenschutz u. Informationsfreiheit Baden-Württemberg Brink )
- 07/2014 – Nordwest-Zeitung (Journal) – „Betting providers make big business “
- 05/2016 – Automatenmarkt (Journal)– „Watch out for traps in new concessions“
- 11/2016 – Games & Business (Journal) – The foundation has been laid – regulation in sports betting “
- 01/2017 – Gambling Compliance „Arcade Closure Confusin Rattles German Slot Industry “
- 02/2017 – Games & Business “Das Potential von eSports” rechtliche Einordnung Wetten auf eSports (Interview)
- 03/2017 – Games & Business “Sportmanager auf Zeit – Neuer Online-Spieletrend Fantasy Sports”
- 04/2017 – Interview in GamblingCompliance “Legal Loophole Leaves German Slot Addicts Cut Off From Self- Exclusion”
- 04/2017 – Interview in GamblingCompliance “German Court Decision Is ‘Black Friday’ For Slots Industry”
- 04/2017 – Games & Business “Fantasy Sports on the Rise”
- 12/2017 – Automatenmarkt “Bundesverwaltungsgericht bekräftigt das Internetverbot – Urteilsanmerkung zu BVerwG, Urteilen v. 26.10.2017 – 8 C 14.16 und 8 C 18.16”
- 01/2018 – Automatenmarkt – Etappensieg: VGH Hessen hebt Auswahlentscheidung auf 01/2018 – Zeitschrift für Wett- und Glücksspielrecht (ZfWG 2018, 9 – 14) – “Die Kollision von Landesrecht mit Staatsverträgen – „pacta sunt servanda“ oder „lex posterior“?”
- 07/2018 – Zeitschrift für Wett- und Glücksspielrecht (ZfWG 2018, 235 – 241) – “Zur glücksspielrechtlichen Bewertung von Beutekisten (Lootboxen)” (RA Dr. Krainbring & RA Röll)
- 01/2019 – Games & Business – “Lichtblick bei Befristung” (RA Röll)
- 01/2020 – Automatenmarkt – “Licht im Dickicht der Befristungen?” (RA Röll)
- 02/2020 – Zeitschrift für Wett- und Glücksspielrecht – “Strafbarkeit des (Weiter-) Betriebs von Spielhallen ohne Erlaubnis nach dem GlüStV (ZfWG 2020, 25 – 32) (RA Röll)
- 01/2021 – Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung – “OB verbietet Räten Posten und Fotografieren aus Sitzungen” (kurzes Interview mit RA Röll)
- Since 2014 – Lecturer on behalf of the IHK Reutlingen for the instruction according to § 33c Sec. 2 GewO (Trade, Commerce and Industry Regulation Act)
- 07/2015 – ARGE „Criminal Law of the Heidelberg Lawyers’ Association: “Illegal Gambling – Organizers and Participants in the Focus of the Criminal and Fine Authorities
- 09/2015 – German Gambling Law Day Frankfurt a.M. “Effects of the new gambling ordinance for gastronomy and gambling halls”
- 04/2017 – ARGE „Criminal Law of the Heidelberg Lawyers’ Association: “Administrative Offences Proceedings in the Commercial Context – Defense Strategies, Practical Handling and New Case Law on Forfeiture and Reliability under Commercial Law”
- 06/2018 – IHK Reutlingen: “Implementation of data protection regulations in companies “
- Since 2019 – Lecturer on behalf of the IHK Cologne for the instruction according to § 33c Sec. 2 GewO
- 09/2019 – 5. Deutscher Glücksspielrechtstag Frankfurt a.M. “Strafbarkeit des (Weiter-)Betriebs von Spielhallen ohne Erlaubnis nach dem GlüStV?”